Southern Korea – Degree 3: Reconsider Travel
Entry, Exit and Visa Demands
- Passport legitimate at period of entry.
- No visa needed for stays lower than ninety days for business or tourism.
- Visa necessary for all the other purposes, including work, teaching English, as well as for remains more than ninety days.
Surpassing your authorized stay or otherwise not possessing a visa that is valid end in detention and fines.
- In the case of an overstay, make an application for a visa expansion through the Korea Immigration Service (KIS) before trying to go out of the nation. Additionally talk to KIS regarding alterations in visa category.
Army Personnel/DOD and their loved ones on sales:
- Consult DOD Foreign Clearance Guide, and follow all directions.
- Enter Korea with DOD recognition and travel requests.
- Don’t transit other nations such as for example Asia without having a passport and visas that is appropriate.
- Family Members/Dependents of Military Personnel/DOD on sales must provide upon arrival passports legitimate for a minimum half a year as well as A a-3 couch visa.
U.S. National Executive Branch workers on formal company and DOD workers assigned into the U.S. Embassy (Including household members/dependents):
- Enter Korea having a diplomatic or passport that is official a diplomatic or formal ROK visa obtained through your sponsoring agency.
- Get nation clearance Department that is using of’s eCC system or DOD APACS system.
HIV/AIDS regulation: The Department of State is unacquainted with any such entry limitations for site site visitors or international residents in Korea.
Look at the Embassy of Korea web site for present visa information. Please read our Customs Ideas web web page.
Security and safety
Public Demonstrations: Demonstrations and rallies are typical in Southern Korea, specially close to the U.S. Embassy, Seoul City Hall, and areas surrounding army installments. You really need to avoid areas where demonstrations are using spot and workout care when you look at the vicinity of every big gatherings, protests, or rallies. Also demonstrations meant to be calm are able to turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
North Korea (The Democratic PeopleвЂ™s Republic of Korea, DPRK): An armistice http://hookupdate.net/nl/christian-cafe-recenzja/ contract, supervised by the un, has maintained basic comfort on the Korean peninsula since 1953. Tensions sporadically flare up because of provocative functions by North Korea, including ballistic missile and nuclear tests and restricted armed incursions into ROK-held territory. Some provocations have actually escalated into geographically skirmishes that are limited. Southern Korea regularly conducts training that is military and civil protection drills. North Korea usually issues strongly-worded and messages that are threatening usually associated with these workouts. Please see our Fact Sheet on North Korea.
Weather-related Activities: hefty rains and flooding might occur throughout the June – August monsoon period or even the might – November typhoon period. See basic details about normal catastrophe preparedness during the U.S. Federal crisis Management Agency (FEMA) website.
Sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): to get safety communications by e-mail and work out it better to locate you in a crisis, register in ACTION.
In the event that Embassy becomes conscious of any particular and credible hazard to the security and protection of U.S. residents, we shall notify you through our site, social media marketing, and email.
Criminal activity: for many site visitors, Southern Korea stays a tremendously safe nation. Typical crimes happen more often in major urban centers, tourist web internet sites, and crowded areas.
- Simply just Take safety that is routine.
- Look closely at your environments.
- Report any issues to neighborhood authorities.
Violent crime just isn’t typical; nevertheless, stay vigilant:
- Workout care in crowded activity, nightlife, and shopping districts.
- If traveling at consider traveling in groups night.
- Make use of legitimate taxis or transportation that is public.
Victims of Crime: Call 112 for crisis support or even to report a criminal activity to neighborhood authorities. We could:
- Assist you in finding appropriate health care;
- Help you in reporting a criminal activity to authorities;
- Contact loved ones or buddies for you;
- Explain Korean judicial procedures in general terms;
- Provide a crisis loan for repatriation to your usa and/or restricted medical support in instances of destitution;
- Support you in finding rooms and journey plans to your usa;
- Substitute a lost or stolen passport.
Sexual Assault: In 2017-2018, the Embassy received a few reports of intimate attack from U.S. residents. Many situations included women that are young by acquaintances after alcohol consumption socially. Specialized hospital devices and police are for sale in Southern Korea to help victims, but solutions in English and responsiveness into the criminal activity are never constant. Generally speaking, sex crimes aren’t penalized as harshly in Southern Korea like in the usa as well as the road to prosecution is just a challenging one for victims.
Lost or Stolen Passports: If for example the passport is taken, register a written report during the police station that is nearest.
Do not purchase fake and goods that are pirated even though widely accessible. It really is against South Korean legislation to buy these products and against U.S. legislation to carry them in to the usa. The Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Division when you look at the U.S. Department of Justice has additional information.
Prevent fraud and frauds: See Department of State and FBI sites to learn more.
Tourism: The tourism industry is typically managed and guidelines in regards to to best practices and security inspections are frequently enforced. Dangerous areas/activities are identified with appropriate signage and staff that is professional typically on hand in help of arranged tasks. In the case of a personal injury, appropriate treatment that is medical acquireable through the country. Away from an important metropolitan center, it could take more hours for very very first responders and medical experts to support someone and offer assistance that is life-saving. U.S. citizens are encouraged to buy evacuation insurance that is medical. See our website to learn more about insurance firms for international protection.
Neighborhood Laws & Special Circumstances
Criminal Penalties: whilst in Korea, you will be at the mercy of laws that are local. You may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned if you violate Korean laws. Remember that:
- Immigration violations can result in arrest, fines, and deportation.
- There is certainly tolerance that is little unlawful drugs.
- You will be prosecuted if you mail illegal drugs to/ from Korea.
- Commercial disputes can lead to charges that are criminal filed under neighborhood laws and regulations.
Know that some crimes are prosecutable in the usa, no matter regional legislation. For examples, see our web site on crimes against minors abroad together with Department of Justice website.
Arrest Notification: If you might be detained or arrested, ask officials to alert the Embassy. See our website for more information.